If you plan to travel to Melaka, make sure your name list has of A’Famosa visit. Former Portuguese fortress was about 500 this year, is a must visit destination trample upon settlement of the oldest in Malaysia.
In fact, it will not complete a visit to the country if not visited the place, in line with the state tourism slogan Hang Tuah’s birth, namely Visit Historic Melaka Means Visit Malaysia.
A’Famosa are synonymous with the city of Malacca, therefore it is considered as a landmark tourism industry in the state.
For those who first came to Melaka, very easy to find this place because it is located right in the center of the tourist state, other adjacent shopping center famous Dataran Pahlawan Melaka Megamall in Bandar Hilir.
According to the Portuguese Ancient, A’Famosa means great. Greatness is meant here, of course, refers to a structure built premises with a stunning design and a first of its kind in Malacca at that time.
Looking historically, City A’Famosa believed to be built along one kilometer and is equipped with eight home fortress or bastion, besides having four gates for entry and exit of residents and business merchandise. Said the town is built on the rubble of the old cemetery Masjid Melayu and the Malacca Sultanate.
The construction is not only aimed at the preservation of the Portuguese fort and then, even as the location for community placement. At that time, all colonial society activities are concentrated in situ, while the neighborhood is populated Malay community, mostly farmers and fishermen.
When the Dutch were able to take over the government of Malacca in 1641, most of the city’s walls torn hit with shrapnel when he defended Portuguese. New invaders of Europe, however, did not break down along this city, but also makes it fix before their placement.
After Malacca was taken over by the British in the early 1800s, when the first resident William Farquhar ordered the demolition of the city concerned. The goal is no longer to be the remains of Portuguese or Dutch in Malacca, in addition to displaying their prowess to conquer the largest trading center in the region.
Work to demolish part A’Famosa Fort began in 1807 is said to take three months using a bomb. However, work was halted when a senior officer of the British, Sir Stamford Raffles, the reason it should be a matter of history for future viewing.
Unfortunately, his efforts only home a little late because of the entrance of the fort Santiago Bastion as seen today was rescued. English invaders who conquered Malacca up is free, after that, nor ever take any effort to preserve the history of the city as a material respect.
So what can be seen through the remains of the Portuguese is now, only the structure of the gate on the south side of the city concerned, while the bulk of the capital structure is destroyed completely destroyed. But today, we can see the state government is trying to re-establish the destroyed city.
Interestingly about this A’Famosa Fort, where he is now surrounded by various tourist attractions, especially in the form of products or residual long history. So for those visitors who wish to visit this city, will certainly satisfied for having `extra bonus’ to visit.
Among them, Dataran Pahlawan where the first Prime Minister, Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra Al-Haj announced dates nation’s independence on February 20, 1956, when his entourage arrived from London.
In addition, Stadhyus Building (Red House), built by the Dutch in the 1650’s, other than St Paul’s Church on the Mount of Malacca built captain Duarte Coelho, various museums and galleries in Jalan Kota and replica of a merchant ship. The latest attraction in the area is Menara Taming Sari next trishaw and Mahkota Parade shopping center.
There are also several schools over 100 years old, which is the neighboring city of A’Famosa, such as Sekolah Kebangsaan Bandar Hilir, SMK St Francis and Malacca High School and five-star hotels, the Hotel Equatorial.